SR. HELEN GRAHAM, M.M., Ph.D.
Sr. Helen R. Graham has been teaching at the institute for Formation and Religious Studies since 1967...
Torah/Pentateuch, Prophets, Psalms/Wisdom, Synoptics, Paul, John, Revelation, Biblical Hebrew 1, Liberation Theology, Women in the Bible, Women in the Old Testament.
Master of Arts, Ateneo de Manila University, Quezon City, Master of Sacred Theology, Jesuit School of Theology, Berkeley, California, Doctor of Philosophy in Theology, Ateneo de Manila University
Research and Publications
There Shall Be No Poor Among You: Essays in Lukan Theology. Quezon City: JMC Press, 1978.
How Long: Prison Reflections of Karl Gaspar. Edited with Breda Noonan, SSC. Quezon City: Claretian Press, 1985.
You Shall Be Handed Over: The Persecution Prediction in Mark 13:9-13. Quezon City: Claretian Press, 1987.
‘Sing O Barren One. . .’ and other Essays on Biblical Themes. Quezon City: Claretian Press, 2007
- "Theology of Liberation," Philippine Priests Forum, (December 1970).
- "The Church and the Human Rights Struggle in the Philippines," Concilium, 1979 (written under a pen-name and in collaboration with John Doherty, S.J.).
- "Towards Total Transformation: Reflections on Psalm 73," Witness (1982) 74-78.
- "The Promise of Spirit-Inspired Testimony in Mark," Witness, (1984, 2nd Quarter) 1-11.
- "Persecution and Proclamation in the Gospel of Mark," Witness (1984, 3rd Quarter) 25-33.
- "Endurance in Time of Persecution," The Bible Today (September, 1985) 297-304.
- "A Passion Prediction for Mark's Community: Mark 13:9-13," Biblical Theology Bulletin 17 (1986) 18-22.
- "Brief Notes on the Roots of Contemporary Theology of Liberation and the Biblical Liberation Trajectory", in Liberation Theology & the Vatican Document: A Philippine Perspective, Vol. 2. Quezon City: Claretian Publications. 1986, 15-30.
- "The Role of Faith in the Struggle," Kalinangan (March 1986) 5-6 & 27.
- "Mission and Ministry in Context," Maryknoll Formation Journal (Fall-Winter 1986) 23-32.
- "The Fruit of Justice Will be Peace," Kalinangan (March 1987) 34-35.
- "The Things that Make for Peace", Rice in the Storm: Faith in Struggle in the Philippines, edited by D. Williams and B.Asedillo. New York: Friendship Press, Inc., 1989, 102-129.
- "Once There Was a Rich Man . . . Five Rich Man Stories in Luke," The Bible Today (March 1988) 98-103.
- "A Solomonic Model of Peace", Religion and Society: Toward A Theology of Struggle. Edited by Sophie Bodegon. Manila: Fides, 1988, 215-229. Reprinted in R.S. Sugirtharajah, ed., Voices From the Margin: Interpreting the Bible in the Third World. SPCK, 1991, 214-226.
- "Que puede significar Maria? ", Vida Religiosa 64, 1988, 173-175.
- "Empowerment of Women for Peace," Women and Religion, Women's Study Series #2. Edited by Sr. Mary John Mananzan, OSB. Manila: 1988, 44-58.
- "The Challenge of the Gospel in Our Philippine Context," Prophets for the Third World: Proceedings of Religious Life Week. Manila: July 31-Aug. 3, 1989, 45-66.
- "Active Non-Violence as a Strategy for Attaining Peace", The Assumption University Journal (Pampanga) VIII, (March 1990) 6-17.
- ". . . And She Said 'No'" in And She Said No! Edited by Liberato Bautista & Elizabeth Rifareal. Quezon City: NCCP (1990) 34-37.
- "On a New Way of Being Church: A Biblico-Historical Reflection", Kalinangan, (September 1990) 15-17.
- “Woman, You are Freed . . .” (A Homily on Luke 13:10-17) Kalinangan (April 1991) 38-39.
- "Yahweh is a Warrior . . . : A Biblico-Theological Reflection." Kalinangan (April 1991) 12-13.
- “What Might Mary Mean?” Kalinangan (December 1991) 30-32.
- "’. . . Under Their Own Vine and Under Their Own Fig Tree’: A Prophetic Vision for an Alternative World", NCCP Pamphlet, 1992.
- "Hungry They Carry Their Sheaves. . ." (a biblical reflection on the Feast of Pentecost), Kalinangan 13/1, (1993) 7-9.
- "Call for the Mourning Women . . ." (Jer. 9:16). Kalinangan 13/3 (1993) 27-29.
- ". . . a mother in Israel" Kalinangan (December 1996) 16-18.
- "When the day of Pentecost had come . . ." and "Blessed are the Peacemakers . . ." in Return To Babylon: Global Perspectives on the Bible. Edited by Jack Levison and Pricilla Pope-Levison. Westminster/John Knox, 1998, 131-135; 173-179.
- “Christian Faith and the Feminist Struggle,” Intersect (1998)
- “Sing O Barren One: A Study of the Song of Hannah” MST Review 2/2 (1999) 118-132.
- “Every Creditor Shall Remit the Claim. . .” (Deut 15:2) PAID! (January-June 1999)15-16.
- “‘The God of the lowly, helper of the oppressed . . .’: A Study of the Image of God in the Book of Judith” MST Review 3/1 (1999) 95-114.
- “‘He Came to Nazareth . . . on the Sabbath Day’ The Sabbath, the Biblical Jubilee, and the Christian Sunday,” East Asian Pastoral Review 37/4 (2000) 331-344.
- “The Fifth ‘R’ and the Great Jubilee,” sometime in 2000.
- “‘Call for the Mourning Women. . .’ Professional Mourning Women in Ancient Israel,” Himig Ugnayan Vol 4 (2001-2002), 53-62.
- “Hand of Yahweh, Hand of a Woman: A Study of Judith’s Song of Victory [Judith 16:1b-17]” MST Review Vol 5:1-2 Herman Hendricks Festshrift (2003) 86-128.
- “‘In you all the families of the earth shall be blessed’ Some Initial Thought on Mission in the Old Testament.” Paper read at the Fourth Asia-Pacific Formators’ Course: “Dominican Formation for Mission in the Asia-Pacific,” held at Caleruega, Batulao, Batangas, Philippines January 10-March 18, 2005. East Asian Pastoral Review Vol 42/4 (2005) 369-386.
- “A God Who Crushes Wars: Reading the Book of Judith as an Anti-War Document,” prepared for the annual convention of the Catholic Biblical Association of the Philippines, July 22-24, 2005. CBAP Convention Proceedings for 2005.
- “ . . . and they knew her, and abused her all night until the morning” (Judges 19:25): Victim-Survivors of Sexual Violence in Biblical Perspective delivered at the Interdisciplinary Theological Conference on Sexual Violence Against Women – October 24-25, 2008 at the Carmelite Missionaries Center of Spirituality, Tagaytay City, Philippines (not yet published).
C. Review Articles
- Harrington, Daniel. "Interpreting the Old Testament", The Bible Today (November, 1981) 397-398.
- Gottwald, N.K. "The Tribes of Yahweh: A Sociology of the Religion of Liberated Israel 250-1050", Witness, 3rd Quarter (1981) 72-76.
- Sthulmuller, C. and Senior D. "Biblical Foundations for Mission", Witness, 3rd Quarter (1984) 78-80.
- Gottwald, N.K. "The Hebrew Bible: A Socio-Literary Introduction", Landas, Vol. I, No. 2 (July 1987) 256-263.
- Walker, R.B.J. "One World Many Worlds: Struggles for a Just World Peace", Tugon (1989).
- Horseley, Richard. "Bandits, Prophets and Messiahs: Social Movements in the Time of Jesus and Jesus and the Spiral of Violence: Popular Resistance in Jewish Palestine", (unpublished).
- Meyers, Ched. "Binding the Strongman. A Political Reading of the Gospel of Mark", Tugon (x/1) (1990) 109-115.
- Meis, Maria and Vandana Shira, “ECOFEMINISM.” Women in Action # 1 (1996) 44-45.
- Brueggemann, Walter. Isaiah 1-39 and Isaiah 40-56. Westminster/John Knox, 1998. Himig Ugnayan 2/3 (2000).
- Weems, Renita J. Battered Love: Marriage, Sex, and Violence in the Hebrew Prophets. Fortress, 1995. MST Review 3/2 (2000).
- Den Heyer, C. J. Jesus and the Doctrine of the Atonement. MST Review 3/2 (2000).
- Bowe, Barbara E. Biblical Foundations of Spirituality: Touching a Finger to the Flame. New York: Sheed and Ward, 2003. Catholic Biblical Quarterly 67 (2005) 78-79.
- Grelot, Pierre. The Language of Symbolism: Biblical Theology, Semantics, and Exegesis (trans. Christopher R. Smith; Peabody, MA: Hendrickson, 2006). in the Catholic Biblical Quarterly (Winter, 2006).
- Witmer, Stephen E. Divine Instruction in Early Christianity. WUNT 2/246; Tubingen: Mohe Siebeck, 2008 in Catholic Biblical Quarterly 72 (2010) 169-170
D. Papers Delivered
- Paper delivered at the Jesuit School of Theology at Clarmont, "At Home in the World: The Need for Religious Communities," (March 2012)
- Paper presented at De La Salle University on November 19, 2012 "Women and Vatican II" to be published in Landas.
- The Gintong Aklat Award (Golden Book Award) given by the Book Development Association of the Philippines, Inc. on September 12, 2008 for “Sing O Barren One” . . . and Other Essays on Biblical Themes. Quezon City: Claretian Press, 2007 (September 12, 2008).
- The Cardinal Sin Catholic Book Awards [CSCBA] given by the Asian Catholic Communicators, Inc. for “Sing O Barren One” . . . and Other Essays on Biblical Themes. Quezon City: Claretian Press, 2007 (October 29, 2008).
- Committee on the Status of Women in the Profession of SBL Mentor Award for the Year 2012 (received November 17, 2012)